Friday, April 5, 2013

Day 30: Ran out of Luck

Well, today was, for the lack of better term, painful.

I started the day lazily. I preferred to stay in bed instead of finishing my requirements. My scheduled orientation was to be this afternoon but it was clearly stipulated that no one will be allowed in the orientation if they haven't finished their medical exams yet and as you all know, I haven't finished mine because of physiological reasons. I had to wait until 10 in the morning and called the recruiting office to ask if I could still get in with lacking requirements. They told me it's fine, I just have to attend it since it was a prerequisite before I can join the training. So I decided to just stay at home and wait until 1 in the afternoon.

I was already back in my bed checking social networking sites when my former teammates called me again and asked me if I could join them for lunch. I wanted to but again, I was feeling too lazy so I politely told them no. And you wanna guess what they replied? One of them threatened that if I don't go with them, they would block and unfriend me on Facebook. Of course, I know they wouldn't do that but it definitely changed my mind. They told me I had 20 min to be there so I hurriedly dressed, fixed myself and went straight out of the house. Ugh, the things you do for your friends!

They were already waiting for me when I arrived and they just laughed at me. Can you believe them? So anyway, we had lunch at this place I've never been to. While waiting for the food, I was deciding whether I should go to the orientation or I could try my luck at another company which, my friends told me, offered the same account but with bigger compensation. In the end, I decided to test my luck. I went to the said company and processed my application. I had to take a very long and migraine-inducing exam for them to know which account I would be profiled to. After the exam, they told me I passed however I would not be profiled to the account that I wanted. I had to hold back my frustration until I was out of the building.

I immediately racked my brains for any other possible options and the first thing that came to my mind was to go to the recruitment office of the company who hired me and ask if they could reschedule my orientation. When I went there, I had to make an alibi that I had an emergency that's why I wasn't able to come to the orientation. They told me I have to wait for their call on Monday to check if the class wasn't full yet and if they could still squeeze me in. If not, they had to push me to the next wave. I just hope I could still make it to the class, I can't afford to wait another week.

I went home and called it a day. My roommate and I had dinner and I usually bring my phone anywhere just in case someone important would call but since it ran out of battery, I had to leave it at home to recharge. When we came back, there was a text message from the publishing company where I applied as a copy editor informing me that I didn't get the job. I had to stop for a while and heave a sigh. It seems that my luck was not on a roll today.

It always hurts when you experience failure and being the person that I am, it's not easy to face failure head on. I guess some things are just not meant for you no matter how hard you try. But at least I can say that I tried and I wouldn't have to live on the what-ifs if I didn't. I just had to convince myself that it's just a bad day, not a bad life. I hope you're having a better day than I am.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate because I am also on a job hunting. Oh, that is so sad. But worry not my dear, if one door closes, the windows are still open. Everything happens for a reason. Cheer up. I know its hard, shit happens but you just have to move on. You're right, it's just a bad day, not a bad life. =) Hope you'll be okay. Take care

    Krystal
    http://krystalpearl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete