Monday, October 3, 2011

On habits and dreams

So I decided to buy books today. It's been a while since I've read a book cover to cover and I felt I needed to do that again to bring back the little sanity I have left in me. That's what usually happens when you stay at home all day, confused on whether television is much more entertaining than the internet. And then after getting bored exploring both, I'd relentlessly open the fridge and then close it again after I don't find anything amusing or interesting at all. I think I might have set a new record today though.


Going back, when I went to the bookstore, I found this pocketbook entitled Memories of My Melancholy Whores by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I wouldn't have taken a second look at it if it wasn't for the author. The book was very thin and I'm usually used to reading the likes of J.K Rowling and Dan Brown, I thought I might finish this book in just one night. I was about to return it back to the rack when I decided to read the back part and the decision to buy it was apparent.


Summary:
On the eve of his 90th birthday, a bachelor decides to give himself a wild night of love with a virgin. As is his habit--he has purchased hundreds of women--he asks a madam for her assistance. The 14 year old girl who is procured for him is enchanting, but exhausted as she is from caring for siblings and her job sewing buttons, she can do little but sleep. Yet with this sleeping beauty at his side, it is he who awakens to a romance he has never known..

I thought the book was elegant and disturbing at the same time.
And yes, I was right. I finished the book in one sitting only. My thoughts? I'm not sure really. I never knew a love like that was possible. It was weird but in a good way. It's disturbing but I wanted to read more about it. I think I might have to reread this book again.


On the other hand, I also bought a book that I thought would help me learn a lot about being a fashion designer. I've always been fascinated on how designers go about researching and brainstorming to the nitty gritty details of their designs. One can always dream they say, and well, that has always been my dream. I so hope this book is worth it.

I will be studying again!

I was enchanted with this books pictures and illustrations of everything there is.
In line with that, I have always begged my friends to gift me with a sewing machine. Not the fancy and big ones though 'coz I know they cost a hefty lot, just the small and portable one. And although it took quite a while, they were able to give me one a month after my birthday. You know when you really want something, a day could be considered a year of waiting. And when I finally got a hold of it, I was ecstatic beyond words! I tried my best to learn how to operate it but since it was not really the branded one, the manual was in Chinese. It was a disaster of epic proportions. Until now, I never really learned to sew using this.

You already know what my favorite color is?

My mini sewing machine with the cutest pedal!
It's a sad, sad situation. Luckily, I was able to meet someone who knows how to sew and she promised to teach me how, for FREE! How freakin' cool is that? 


I'll be updating you soon and hopefully I will be able to post my first creation here too! *fingers crossed


xoxo,
biang

3 comments:

  1. Vy! I love your entry. You write well, I couldn't help but notice. :) I want to get a hold of THAT book and THAT magazine! I need it in my life toooooo!!!!! T____T

    Seems like you and I are on the page with sewing and designing. I am excited for my little baby! It's prolly in the Atlantic as we speak. haha. I bought one months back, a very very cheap one and it didn't last me long. Gi-abandon nalang nako. hmmmp.

    Well, I wish your thumbs well in your sewing endeavors! God bless, vy! Update your blog soon! :)


    XO
    Miss E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks den! wow, that is such a huge compliment coming from you. :D How have you been man?

    Are you getting the real thing na gyud? I'm so jealous. It might take a while before I get a hold of mine, mangita sa ko ug sponsor.haha


    Yes,yes, you too den! We'll never get tired chasing this dreams. Update us on your adventures too, gimingaw nako basa sa imong posts! see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vy, i don't REALLY know u write very well as in for the many years krn pko kbasa mga inani na blog from u, and ur thoughts i love them so much it arouse a feeling of living dreams =))

    TWO THUMBS UP! <3

    ReplyDelete